Thursday, June 4, 2009

How did this happen to me?

The answer to that question is sort of simple. I am really short (five feet two inches tall) and I'm one of the unfortunate people who have battled their weight for a lifetime. My mom swears that I was not chunky as a kid but she's remembering it differently than it was. I was heavy in fourth grade, slimmed down from fifth through grade eight and began my battle with weight from there for the rest of my life.

In high school, I was ahead of the game most of the time but I made very unhealthy choices that have cost me greatly as an adult. I used to starve myself for extended periods of time to lose weight. I used to go many whole days without eating. Quite a few people called me spacy or dizz. These names were fitting at the time because I was likely in some blood sugar crisis. I also battled acne and spent all of my teen years taking oral antibiotics. I believe based upon reading Dr. Atkin's book that I probably became insulin resistant as a result of this combination of things.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment