Friday, June 26, 2009

social duty

I want to share with you the largest major hurdle to this struggle for me, social duty. Social duty bound eating describes the situation where people present you food and not wanting to be rude, we accept and eat that food. I've been in this situation three times in two days and it's absolutely ruining my hopes for having another weight loss this week. I'll begin my story with what happened yesterday. I had spent the entire day in a panic, trying to prepare myself for an algebra midterm. I rushed from tutoring, home to meet my kids. My parents asked me to come eat with them and I accepted. Why did I do this? I had made a prior commitment to a friend, who had agreed to study with me during the evening. She made tacos for us. Well, I ate a salad with my parents. When the salad arrived, it had breaded chicken on it. That's a diet no-no. I ate it out of duty. When I got to my friend's house, I was not hungry. I had made the commitment to eat at her house and was not willing to tell her that I couldn't eat after she had gone to all of the trouble she had. I ate two dinners last night. Before that, I had been making great choices.

Thank goodness that was over. Today It happened again! My son is taking cooking as a project in 4h and has a real interest in it. He made a smoothie for himself and wanted someone else to have one. His older brother won't eat his food (or behave kindly toward him in anyway.) I volunteered to drink the smoothie to make sure that my son knew that I support him. It wouldn't have been a horrible cheat. It was composed of milk, apples and blueberries. I wish that I knew of a way to decline in a way that saves face. Ideas????

No comments:

Post a Comment